In this article, we will be discussing some beautiful and tasty flowering Herbs for your Garden. Yes, there are many herbs that are beautiful yet tasty and edible. So let us know some beautiful and tasty flowering Herbs for your Garden. What herbs that flowers have and are still edible. If you don’t want to plant many ornamental plants and want to expand the herb garden with some flowers then flowering herbs are a great choice to go with.
Best beautiful and tasty flowering Herbs for your Garden
Here are the beautiful and yet super tasty flowering herbs that you can plant in your garden.
Herbs with pink flowers
- They have coneflowers and so are called purple coneflowers
- Height: 4 feet
- Zone- 3 to 9
- Belong to the daily family
- The flowers are extremely beautiful with a pinkish shade and have an orangish uplifted center
- The plant grows well in moist soil that is proper irrigated and drained too
- Stems are erect and the leaves are hairy to touch
- You will witness flowers from summer to the fall season.
- Flowers are edible, mostly used for medicinal purposes curing flu, cold-related problems, skin allergies, etc.
- Used in tea as well
- Zones- 4 to 11
- The spearmint is a herb that belongs to the mint family
- Also called lamb mint, mackerel mint, and common mint.
- height: 12-39 inches tall
- The spearmint also does great in making herbal teas, making scents, etc.
- The flowers are a light shade of pink color and are tubular to bell-like.
- They are ideal to grow in a big space or in pots.
- The essential oil extracted from the flowers is highly useful in making soaps, toothpaste, etc.
- Height- 12-20 inches tall
- Zones: 3 to 9
- Chives belong to the allium group
- Produce the edible leaves and flowers
- Chives grow well in the good sun whether indoors or outdoors
- The plants have good insect repelling abilities and are perfect for companion planting as well
- The flowers are usually used in salads or garnishing
- The leaves are flavourful and used in omelets, and many Asian dishes.
- The flowers look really elegant in the garden and are a shade of pinkish purple.
Herbs with red flowers
- Zones: 8 to 11
- Height: 5 feet tall
- The scarlet red flowers that are tubular are usually seen in the late season
- Many hummingbirds keep hovering around the pineapple sage plants
- The plant cannot tolerate the frost season
- Known for its pineapple aroma
- It is used for many medicinal uses like healing anxiety, and antidepressants, good for the nervous system.
- Can be used in tonics for digestion, heartburn, etc. the pineapple sage is also beneficial to add in teas, soups, etc.
- Zones: 10-11
- Height: 45cms
- The flowers are present in form of long spikes that are in the shade of reddish-purple
- Thai basil has a pleasant aroma but it goes mild as the flowers begin to appear
- One of the varieties of sweet basil has a liquorice-like flavor that’s why it’s called liquorice basil too.
- Thai basil is a tender perennial type, sturdy and compact. Though the plant is grown annually as well.
- They are widely used in the dishes of Asians and Vietnamese like noodles, soups, pork, etc.
- Zones: 3-9
- Height: 10-35 inches tall
- Bee balm has beautiful flowers that have a citrus-like aroma
- The flower appears in a shade of red, purple, and pink and looks fuller that attracts bees and hummingbirds in the garden.
- The bee balm is used in salads, tea, jellies, desserts, etc.
- The plant needs full sun and moist detained soil but doesn’t like high humidity which can cause problems like powdery mildew.
Herbs with blue flowers
For more such plant related-articles, you may also read, 15+ Cilantro Companion Plants – What to plant & what not to plant with Cilantro?
- Zones: 3-11
- Height: 18-23 inches tall
- Hyssop plants are used in making many herbal medicines that are used to cure cough, antiseptic ointments, etc.
- The flowers are bluish to purple and both leaves and flowers are edible
- They attract a lot of pollinators and bees to the garden.
- Hyssop is also used in dishes like kinds of pasta, soups, desserts, etc.
- Usually, the leaves of hyssops need tp removed as they are hard to eat.
- The gentian plants have large flowers that are trumpet-shaped and intense blue-coloured.
- These are wildflowers and are easy to grow
- The roots of gentian are used in many strips and making medicines
- The flowers are really attractive and bring a lot of hummingbirds to the garden
- Gentiana flowers have digestive properties as well and are used in making liquors, bitters etc.
Herbs with yellow flowers
- Zones: 3-11
- Height: 4-8 inches tall
- The stems are long and hollow. Flowers are yellow to white coloured and look aesthetic
- The leaves and seeds of dill plants are widely used as a spice in many dishes in Asia as well as Europe countries
- Dill dives out the flavor well when used freshly wicked from the plants as compared to when dried.
Herbs with purple flowers
- Zones: 3-11
- Height: 12-14 inches tall
- Sage is a herb that is easy to grow and gives purplish flowers
- Blossoms bloom the whole summer season
- They are also called garden sage, common sage, and kitchen sage.
- They have a savory to peppery flavor and go well with the other herbs
- The sage leaves, stems and flowers are equally edible and used in making sauces, Italian cuisines, garnishing, flavoring, etc.
- Zones: 7-9
- Height: 3-5 feet tall
- The leaves are pointed and the flowers are purple coloured.
- Rosemary is drought resistant and easy to care for, needs little maintenance
- The leaves are used in roasting meats, adding flavors to the dishes.
- The flowers attract many bees and pollinators
- Zones: 5 to 9
- Height: 20-24 inches tall
- The lavender plant has beautiful purple blossoms and is known for the sweet aroma
- The lavender plants belong to the mint family
- Flowers and leaves are edible and can be used for garnishing, teas, etc. The plant parts can be dried and used as well.
- The plant can be grown from the seeds as well as cut.
How to care for flowering herbs?
- Keep the soil well-drained, and add sand to the soil if possible that will improve the drainage
- Provide 6 to 8 hours of full sun to the herbs
- Avoid over watering the plants. Water when the soil gets too dry
- Give fertilizer only during the growing season, and avoid giving too much nitrogen into the soil
- Pinch the herbs one to two times a month. When needed do light pruning or pinching every other day
- Don’t let the weeds surround the herb, remove the weeds as soon as possible
Wrapping up the context:
The herbs are full of flavors and so are the flowers. They literally enhance the flavor of any dish. Many flowering herbs yield beautiful flowers that look too attractive in the garden while they work as a herb. The flowers are perfect for garnishing, using in salads, kinds of pasta etc. read the details in deep, written above and know everything about them. We hope you liked the information in the article and have made a choice to plant one. Do let us know which flowering herb you chose. Happy planting!